Sean calls himself on SeanCallanan.com as a Sports Geek, Bloke, Father, and Podcaster. He discovered the podcasting bug with his Sports Geek Podcast, a top positioning sports podcast on iTunes and Stitcher.
He founded Beers, Blokes & Business podcast which is currently #1 Business podcast in Australia. He has a successful side project called the Super Awesome Micro Project, which he used as a patron and drove the digital and social initiatives with the project that garnered major media attention from Mashable, Wired, NBC & BBC as well as over 4 million YouTube views in under 1 month.
In this episode we talk about:
- The idea of Sports Geek Consultancy and how it started
- All things digital
- The importance of Social media connections and content on how to connect with fans
- The importance and advantages of live streaming digital platforms
- The engagement and the connections for the best ways to engage fans with their sports team
- The differences of Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram platforms in terms of engagement
- How Sean started podcasting and how it helped him get attractions to customers
- How Sports Geek works
- How podcasting can effectively build good reputations
- The Beers, Blokes & Business podcast
- Podcasting as a platform – why it works
- The importance of creating entertaining content
- The good opportunities entrepreneurs can benefit from podcasting
- The mistakes made by other podcasters
- Having authentic content to have podcast success
How has your industry changed since you started?
“In the last six years, content for sports has changed when I first started. Teams around the world would have a guy probably with a title ‘webmaster.’ He would have been updating the website. They have gone from teams of one and two to larger ones. Now most teams have a dedicated social media resource, dedicated content people to produce content on the side, provide more video and the written point of view. So it’s really grown and for now they become better at engaging the fans and whatever platforms they’re on.”
What are the most important things to consider when you podcast?
“I think it’s going more main stream. I guess it’s the main thing at the moment. Podcasting is the king of niche. There is a lot of people in podcasting doing really well in that niche space. Starting to plan in that space and becoming more main stream, I think that’s the opportunity.”
“Content is king. I think it’s about being completely authentic. There are lots of people who don’t realize what’s in it for the people who are listening. You have to have some goals in mind of who want to listen and make sure those people are listening.”
Which podcast should I follow, why and how often?
It’s a bit of a mix of business and pleasure and sports. I’m a sports fan so I still listen to a bunch of sports podcast.
Where to find Sean?
Listen and Watch the full speech used in the intro – Steve Jobs: How to live before you die
Download or Play the Episode below
Podcast: Play in new window | Download