Barbara Stevens has lived on the Sunshine Coast for more than 30 years. After nurturing friends and family through trying and difficult break-ups, including her own, she decided to design the 12 Inspirational Step Programme to overcoming your breakup. She also interviewed and compiled a collection of 12 Inspirational Stories from women who have battled and survived their own break-ups.
www.barbarastevens.com.au was developed by Barbara as a platform for people to learn and download free resources, which includes coping mechanisms and advice.
In this episode we talk about:
- How Barbara Stevens finds the energy in making her podcast
- The importance of unloading hardships during separations or breakups
- Why men and women handle breakups differently
- Working on the blame-game situations and dealing with different clients
- Barbara Stevens’ podcasting journey
- From interviewing people to writing her first book
- Barbara’s first podcasting interview issues
- The importance of having a Call-to-Action for your podcast
- Why Barbara prefers learning on her own
- The biggest benefit of starting a podcast
- Things that annoys her about podcasting
- Getting more downloads and engagement through advertising and marketing
What would’ve made it easier?
‘I just thought it was another medium that I could try to get my message across on. I had a book, I had the programs all sorted… I was ready to go. I’ve had some webinars, I had a Facebook presence and I thought the next progression would be to try something different and podcasting just seemed…yeah, that’s what I should do.’
When someone is considering in starting a podcast as a medium, how do they know if it’s for them?
‘If you instinctively think it is the right thing to do, don’t be afraid of the technology side. I’m living proof that it can be done.’
What are the most important things to consider?
‘My tip to anybody is to practice a few interviews first before you interview somebody else.’
Where can I find more information on starting a podcast?
‘I just googled how to podcast and I know that there was a free 15-day guide from John Lee Dumas. He’s an entrepreneur on EOFire. I had no knowledge that this guy was big news in the world of podcasting.
‘I downloaded obviously some youtube videos on how to do Audacity so that I can work that out.’
Where to find Barbara Stevens