Robert Gerrish has done a lot for the entrepreneurs of Australia. Soon after Saatchi & Saatchi bought his independent marketing agency in 1989, Robert ran off to do his own thing. Focusing primarily on youth brands, Robert made a couple of sideline forays into the world of art and music before moving from London to Sydney. He finally succumbed to soloism with the launch of Flying Solo, Australia’s solo and micro business community.
Since 2005 he has co-authored the business bestseller, Flying Solo: How to go it alone in business, he has written pieces for a variety of media and has been a business commentator on ABC 4 Corners, A Current Affair, Sky Business, Fairfax, CBS, 2UE and ABC Radio. He is the host of the Flying Solo Podcast.
In this episode we talk about:
- Forgetting about the numbers and thinking about the people
- What is a Solo Podcast like and what is the difference to an interview type show.
- Podcasting is easy to get started
- The love of learning
- The more Small Businesses that Podcast the better
- Robert’s Journey in Podcasting
- What’s Robert Biggest Learning
- Good Marketing
- Appreciating the quality of people
- Why maintaining the community rather than growing the community is the better option
- Open communication
- Podcasting is a lifestyle
- Starting to build relationships by communicating better
- How much Robert knew about Podcasts
- Sound Quality – and why it is so important to get it right in Podcasting
- Plan the Market you want to be in
- Don’t be scared to be too narrow
- Acknowledge your weaknesses
- Teaming up with other like minded people