Trevor Young is an experienced public relations and marketing communications practitioner. Today he focuses on helping companies and individuals to grow their audience and build their brand. He is using strategic content marketing and social media communications. Content marketing is a great way for brands to tell their story, and podcasting is one of its best vehicles. Trevor Young has done all these through a combination of speaking, writing, consulting, mentoring and training.
In this episode we talk about:
- Trevor’s podcasting journey
- Why podcasting is “hot” right now
- What works best in podcasting
- The importance of exposure
- How omnipresence is important and relevant
- The meaning of “Hybrid Media”
- Social media techniques
- Content marketing and how you can use it
- Why connection is important
- The #AskGaryVee show’s exposure and how it’s leveraged
- Strategic purpose
- Owning your own media
- How to gather things in an integrated way
- The importance of credibility in business
- How to build trust and influence
- The importance of awareness to have visibility
- Being recognised to see your purpose and what you stand for
- Building your brand
- The impact that you can make and how to change people’s lives
- Showing your consumers just how good you are to prove how useful you can be
- The importance of taking time and making the extra effort to earn and attract media
- The importance of face-to-face events
How complicated is it to do podcasting?
You need to align these things:
- What is your purpose?
- What is your mission?
- What impact do you want to make?
What are the most important things to consider?
- Pull all of these elements together with purpose and strategic intent.
- Build influence and trust. Trust is the social currency of today. Second is recognition. That means people actually seeing you. They can identify who you are and understand your purpose.
- Not everyone is going to be a customer and not everyone’s going to be a client. A lot of your audience will be friends, advocates, supporters, enthusiasts, allies and champions. What you do, what you stand for; embrace them all because they’re the ones that can spread your message further and further.
- Think bigger. What impact do you want to make? How do you want to change people’s lives? These are the things that are going to differentiate you from everyone else.
- It’s really good to have a podcast, or any other contents for that matter. To get found, to get people to subscribe, to email or get through that process and build a list. All of that. It’s all really good, but nothing happens until you are validated. The important point of Omnipresence is that people will find you in different ways. Everything you do is to show that you know what you are talking about, that you are passionate about it and that you have a point of view.
Where to find Trevor Young