Petra Jones is a podcaster, mumpreneur supporter and clothing designer. Her experience includes owning and designing her children’s clothing label and running a business for almost six years. Petra recently found her authentic voice when she launched her podcast, The Mumpreneur Show. She pushed herself to overcome her fear of being visible. This experience allowed her to step into the spotlight with confidence. Petra now helps women to find their right media connection in today’s chaotic, fast-moving and often confusing business world. She guides her clients to step into their spotlight with a brave heart.
In this podcast episode we talk about:
- Petra Jones’ Mumpreneur podcast and how she created her podcast
- Being a creative introvert
- How she is very creative and has always been interested in fashion
- Petra’s fashion clothing label for children
- The challenges and mistakes she has encountered along the way throughout her journey in business
- How she wanted to be smarter and started to look for answers by educating herself
- Craving change and personal challenges
- The reason that Petra decided to start a podcast and create the Mumpreneur show which talks about mums’ business journeys, the challenges and problems, successes and the lessons learned along the way
- The benefits of the Mumpreneur show for its listeners in terms of working smarter, not harder, and being motivated to keep going
- Why she thinks that podcasting has a great flexibility and is a perfect platform for her business
- How she spent months preparing, interviewing, editing and fixing technical issues as well as overcoming the fear of becoming visible in order to launch the Mumpreneur show
- The success she didn’t expect after the launching of the Mumpreneur podcast
- Being a number one show in the kids and family category so many times and in different countries, including Spain
- What she loves about podcasting
- The awesome relationships Petra has encountered with women over the years with over 60 interviews
- The Awesome Mum award she received as a finalist in the Digital Innovation category
- How she started with zero followers but has now engaging audiences and a growing community
- The cool opportunities of podcasting
- How podcasting has helped her grow as a person and experience new things
- Five top tips that contributed to Petra’s overall success in podcasting so far
When someone is considering a podcast as a medium, how do I know if it’s for me?
“Right at the start I was wondering whether podcasting was the right media for me and I have to say it seems to have this great flexibility. I knew that my audience was going to be mums like myself… constantly on the go. So, I knew that the podcasting platform was going to be perfect as they could listen to the podcast while driving and picking up the kids from school, while they cook dinners; they can go for a walk with a dog and exercise. And I did all that.”
What are the most important things to consider?
- One thing I became really good at was the fact that I always made sure at the end of each episode to let my listeners know to come and engage with me and connect with me on other platforms. I always mention my twitter handle. I always mention email as well.
- Know your audience and know their problems. You might have to go and do a bit of homework and research.
- Have a process and structure for your podcast. I invested quite a bit of time at the start really looking for my winning formula. I really spent time there.
- Have a social media strategy. Make sure you have a launch strategy and you continue after the launch strategy and be consistent
- Be yourself. Don’t try to be someone else. And have fun with it!
Where to find Petra Jones